Insurance claim form

Considering our homes are the most expensive single investment we will ever make, having homeowner’s insurance will provide peace of mind…or will it? In recent times, the discussion of what exactly a policy will cover has been an intense one. Unfortunately, many policy owners have made a claim only to find that their policy doesn’t cover certain damages.

In this small guide, it would be impossible to run through all the different permutations and what your policy will and won’t offer. However, there are some general themes that seem to run through most. If you want to find out EXACTLY whether your policy will cover the damage, read the fine print in your own contract and reach out to the provider themselves.

Common Provisions

Essentially, a homeowner’s policy will only provide coverage against the events listed. For example, some of the most common provisions include;

  • Weather-related damage
  • Vandalism
  • Theft of property
  • Damage from fire and smoke
  • Water damage (from internal problems, not flooding)
  • Snow/ice
  • Damage from a vehicle colliding with the property

What about contents? This is perhaps the biggest discussion point for homeowners. While many assume that every policy will cover the property and everything contained within, this simply isn’t true. Yes, some policies will have a provision for items not attached to the property but it’s fair to say that many don’t.

What if the damage is outside? As long as the damage is to fences, outbuildings, and landscaping that technically belong to the property, this will normally be covered.

What if you or somebody visiting is injured on the property? With some policies, the ‘liability coverage’ provision will cover this event.

Making a Claim

Before making a claim, it’s important that you understand your policy and whether or not your damages will be covered. In fact, for those reading this as a precautionary measure, grab your policy documents now and ensure that your property is protected against all the biggest risk factors in your location.

If the damage is so extreme that you can no longer remain at the property, most policies will have a ‘temporary living expenses’ provision. As the name suggests, you’ll pay for living expenses while repairs are being done and the provider will reimburse you.

Need Help?


If you believe the insurance provider is wrongly denying your claim or failing to pay the full amount, Cannella Legal can help!